Wednesday, May 5, 2010

No-TV Week

I've heard about this, but having not had a child in school, it was still the stuff of folklore. A week when they ask all the kids, and their parents to watch NO TV. Not at all. Everyday you get a coupon, signed by mom or dad that says that you didn't watch TV. I have a couple of issues with this. First, my kids don't watch that much TV. When they do, its usually so I can take my 2 or 3 time a week shower (Ok, I shower more than that, my hair just doesn't get washed every day- ok?), or so I can cook dinner, or because some kids TV programming is actually pretty beneficial in my opinion (For the record, I HATE shows that want your kids to talk back to the TV set, like they are having a conversation, my kids eyes all glazed over, telling Mickey or Dora what tool to use. Its just creepy)
Second, its usually on a week where the kids are out of school 2 days for Parent Teacher Conferences. Really? Two entire days at home, its still not that springish here, they can't play outside for long, and they aren't supposed to watch TV. Which means that while I'm supposed to be doing the things I'm supposed to be doing, they are bored and need someone to play dress up. I love playing dressup, don't get me wrong, but REALLY? While they are at home all day?
My second problem is that NO TV Week also happens to fall during the NBA finals, and heaven forbid my husband doesn't watch the Utah Jazz. So we've got "Daddy, its no TV Week, for the WHOLE FAMILY!" Him turning up the TV, her crying as if her eyes have been burned by the very sight of the illuminated set.
SO, I think the point of No TV Week is for families to do things together, for kids to play, read books, etc. Which is fine with my husband if the family watches the NBA together.... So, we made it 3 out of the 5 days. All the coupons get entered into a drawing and someone wins some prize for being the most obedient non-watcher of TV. My guess is that we won't be winning any prizes on that one, ever.


Thanks to our special guest writer Tasha for this post!

No comments: