Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Strage Encounters

I had two strange encounters with strangers this past week. The first started one morning when I was completely without kids just running a few errands. I decided to go visit my hang out, Dunkin Doughnuts. I bought some doughnuts for the kids, some bagels for myself and my husband and two coffees. I was walking out to my car and a woman stopped me and asked if I needed help.

Most people would be thankful which I was. But I was also shocked that someone stopped to try to help me when I simply had my hands full. I felt like telling her, "I'm a mom of three, this is nothing."

Now last night, I had more than my hands full. I took my kids to IHOP for dinner by myself. Everything went great until we finished and my son told me he needed to go potty. I grabbed the baby and my older daughter and we went to the restroom. Both older kids went into a stall and I just had that feeling in my stomach this was going to end badly. About two minutes later I heard, "Mommy, I pooped. You need to wipe my butt." At that moment, a woman entered the bathroom. I said to her, "Can you hold my baby while I wipe my son's butt?" She was a little taken aback by my rashness but she smiled and held out her arms for my daughter.

It was weird of me. I know that. You normally don't throw your baby at a stranger but desprite times call for desprite measures. It was that or sit my baby down on the floor of the bathroom. What would you have done?

It's strange to have the help of strangers. I almost feel offended when people offer me help and I don't need it yet, I'm so thankful when I find people willing to help out when I do need it. It is nice to know that there are nice, helpful people in the world. Especially for a mom of three with a son with a poopy butt.

No comments: